Thursday, March 22, is World Water Day, established by the United Nations to examine water issues around the world and raise awareness of the fact that one in eight people do not have safe water to drink.
As an extension of our commitment to a healthy planet, Choice Organic Teas is proud to partner with WaterAid to support their work to bring safe water, hygiene, and sanitation to the world’s poorest communities. For every box of tea sold on our website during the month of March, we will donate 20 cents to WaterAid.
Did you know?
- Nearly 900 million people in the world do not have access to safe water
- 2.6 billion people in the world lack adequate sanitation
- 4,000 children die every day from water-related diseases
Why is clean water important?
- Clean water reduces the spread of water-borne diseases.
- Accessible water supplies mean women can spend time working to earn money or caring for their families, rather than walking for hours in search of water.
- Sufficient water supplies mean there is water available for washing and watering gardens, as well as drinking and cooking.
How you can get more involved:
Learn more – WaterAid has programs in 27 countries across Africa, Asia, the Pacific Region, and Central America. In its 30 years, WaterAid has brought safe water to nearly 16 million people. To learn more about what they do or to make a donation, please visit WaterAid.org or their facebook page.
Make a donation – A donation of $25 is enough to provide clean water for one person for life. While WaterAid has helped bring clean water to nearly 16 million people, there are still nearly 900 million that go without. Help WaterAid achieve their aim of helping 1.4 million more people this year.
Photo credit: WaterAid/Juthika Howlader