Ice cream is such a summer staple, but store bought ice creams are often high in sugar and can contain many ingredients and preservatives. Making it at home creates a customized, rich, creamy, and satisfying (dare we say, healthier?) ice cream without the fillers. For those with specific diets, our recipe for Green Tea Ice Cream is also dairy-free, gluten-free, and can be easily adapted to be vegan! Bonus, this recipe does not require an ice cream maker.
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 6 bags of Premium Japanese Green tea
– 2 cans of full fat coconut milk
– 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
– 1/4-1/2 cup honey to taste (agave or maple syrup if vegan)
– 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp salt
– optional: nuts, chocolate chips, dried fruit, anything you want!
1. Shake cans of coconut milk to mix the separated fats.
2. In a small mixing bowl stir together the reserved 1/2 cup coconut milk and the arrowroot starch. Set aside.
3. In a large sauce pan, heat the remaining coconut milk on the stove and bring to a boil. Stir periodically.
4. Remove coconut milk from heat and add the tea bags.
5. Steep the tea in the hot coconut milk for at least 30 minutes.
6. Squeeze the liquid from the tea bags and remove them from the pan.
7. Place the pan back on the stove and heat the tea and coconut milk mixture again.
8. Add honey and salt to mixture, stir to dissolve the honey.
9. Add the set aside arrowroot and coconut milk mixture. Stir to combine.
10. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
11. Add desired fillings. We used pecans.
– At this point, if you have an ice cream maker you can use it per its instructions. If you do not have an ice cream maker, proceed to the next step. –
12. Pour the ice cream base into a baking dish and place in freezer.*
13. Check ice cream after 45 minutes and stir vigorously to break up frozen pieces. Place back in freezer.
14. Continue to check the ice cream and stir vigorously every 30 minutes until ice cream is frozen.
15. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze until ready to serve.
Makes 1 quart or 6-8 servings.
*Steps 12- 14 are to obtain a creamier texture. If you’re short on time, it’s okay to skip these steps and go straight to step 15. It will still taste delicious!