October is Fair Trade Month and we’re celebrating #FairMoments with Fair Trade USA. As consumers, we create Fair Moments by incorporating Fair Trade Certified ingredients and products into our every day lives. Fair Trade Certified products, like tea, protect and improve the lives of farmers and workers by creating funds for programs that provide education, healthcare, and safety standards.
Find your own Fair Moments with this recipe that is chock full of Fair Trade ingredients. These banana bread muffins are sweet and satisfying with a touch of orange spice, perfect for on-the-go breakfast or snacking!
Orange Spice Banana Bread Muffins
– 1/2 cup water
– 6 heaping tsp Orange Spice Black Loose Leaf tea
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1/4 cup Fair Trade dark brown sugar
– 3/4 cup Fair Trade white sugar
– 1 cup plain greek yogurt
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 3 very ripe Fair Trade bananas, mashed
– 2 eggs
– 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
– optional: chopped walnuts
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, remove from heat, and add loose tea leaves.
3. Steep tea for at least 5 minutes, and strain the tea leaves out of the water.
4. In the saucepan, combine steeped tea, the brown and white sugars, and butter.
5. Place saucepan back on stove over medium heat, stir until butter and sugars have combined. Set aside to cool.
6. Mix yogurt and baking soda in large mixing bowl, let stand for 5 minutes.
7. In the large mixing bowl, combine cooled tea and sugar mixture with yogurt. Add the eggs and gently mix.
8. Gently mix in the mashed bananas.
9. Place liners in muffin pan and fill each 1/2 way with batter.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Makes approximately 21 muffins.