Now that we’ve reached the long, hot days of summer, make sure you stay cool and hydrated, preferably with something tasty. If you’re looking to freshen up your usual iced tea, look no further than our Gourmet Line, with lots of great options to please your taste buds while quenching your thirst. Our Mango Ceylon, Liquorice Peppermint, and Rooibos+Vanilla make divine iced teas. And if you’re looking to mix it up, try our Moroccan Mint Green with some limeade.
Our customers often ask us about how we decaffeinate our teas. Unlike other tea companies that use methylene chloride, a chemical solvent with reported health risks, we use carbon dioxide, a natural alternative to methylene chloride and the only decaffeination method approved for certified organic teas. Since we work so hard to source high quality organic teas, it’s just as important that our decaffeination process preserves our teas’ flavor and quality as much as possible.
To give you more information about how the carbon dioxide decaffeination process works: in a sealed chamber, moistened tea leaves are exposed to pressurized CO2, which has been liquefied under pressure. The liquefied CO2 bonds with the caffeine molecules in the leaves and after a few hours, the liquid is poured off and the tea is dried, evaporating both the CO2 and the caffeine. As caffeine is the only compound reduced, this process leaves the treated tea leaves more intact and flavorful than other methods.
We hope you’ll try all of our decaffeinated teas. Currently we offer a Decaf English Breakfast, Decaf Earl Grey, and Decaf Green in tea bags and a Decaf Black, Decaf Green, and Decaf Chai in loose leaf.
It’s important to remember that decaffeination does leave a trace amount of caffeine in tea, meaning the tea becomes decaffeinated, not caffeine free. If you are concerned about ingesting any caffeine at all, you’ll want to avoid decaffeinated teas and stick to herbal teas such as Chamomile, Peppermint, and Rooibos that never contained any caffeine. Note that Yerba Maté is our one herbal tea that does contain caffeine.
On Tuesday, we had the privilege of attending Bastyr University’s Annual Spring for Health Luncheon at the Fairmont Hotel in Seattle to support uncompensated health care services for those in need.
From left to right: Dr. Church (President of Bastyr University), Eric Ring (Choice Organic Teas Head of Purchasing), Ray Lacorte (Choice Organic Teas Head of Operations), and Tim Callahan (Senior VP and Provost of Bastyr University).
Our new Wellness Teas collection created in partnership with Bastyr was featured as a favor for attendees.
Jean Enerson, the co-anchor at KING5 News Seattle known for her news stories regarding health issues, spoke at the luncheon.
Our Breathing Space tea was served iced as a refreshing part of the menu.
A hot tea service was provided so attendees could begin enjoying their favors (our Wellness Teas).
All in all, we had a terrific time supporting Bastyr’s annual luncheon as they further their mission to make quality natural healthcare more accessible to all.
We are thrilled to announce the launch of our brand new line of Wellness Teas* just in time for spring! Created in partnership with Bastyr University, these eight new blends are a certified organic line of flavorful and functional teas specially formulated by a master herbalist and faculty member in botanical medicine and Ayurvedic sciences at Bastyr University. This is the first time that Bastyr, the largest accredited natural health university in the U.S., has collaborated with a consumer brand on product development and we couldn’t be more excited to partner with them! This collection combines our experience sourcing, blending, and packing the world’s finest ingredients with Bastyr’s expertise in herbal sciences to offer a unique, natural, and organic approach to everyday health and well-being.
The story of how the partnership came about is fairly interesting. Our Head of Purchasing, Eric Ring, was on a camping trip when he struck up a chance conversation with Tim Callahan, Bastyr University’s Senior Vice President and Provost. Eric told Tim about our company’s longtime admiration of Bastyr’s programs and mission and our dream of launching a Wellness line in partnership with them. Tim shared his appreciation of Choice Organic Teas’ experience as a trusted, quality tea brand and the beginnings of our Wellness Teas* took shape over a campfire.
Designed to support healthy bodily functions and enhance wellness,* our new teas are classified as Herbal Dietary Supplements, meaning that they have met FDA standards for quality and testing. All of the teas except Regularity* have been designed so they can be consumed as needed on a daily basis to support daily wellness.* We’re also proud to say that even though they are functional, they taste great too!
The eight varieties include:
- Breathing Space* – Breathe deep and help maintain healthy airways with this refreshing blend. Echinacea, elderflower, and eucalyptus help support normal respiratory function.* Enjoy this amber cup with a bright, minty taste.
- Easy Digest* – Soothe your stomach with this tea formulated to aid digestion and relieve occasional indigestion and nausea associated with ordinary motion sickness.* Ginger, turmeric, and lemongrass deliver a tasty cup that will have you feeling like yourself in no time.*
- Energy Boost* – Recharge your batteries with this crisp, lively blend that supports healthy energy levels and vitality.* Green tea is perfectly paired with eleuthero root, known to support immunity and stamina.* You’ll love the fresh, mildly fruity, vegetal taste, as well as the natural lift.*
- Mental Focus*– Clear your mind with this fresh, lively cup that supports mental clarity and concentration.* This amber cup features gingko and gotu kola, offering a pleasing vegetal taste with a touch of citrus to bring your world back into focus.*
- Regularity* – Get things moving comfortably with this sweet and savory herbal laxative that provides gentle relief of occasional constipation without cramping.* This senna leaf blend is rounded out with licorice and ginger root, resulting in a rich, velvety taste and sweet relief.*
- Rest Assured* – Get a good night’s rest with this dreamy, minty cup.* A smooth blend of valerian root is combined with passionflower, catnip leaf, and chamomile to help you slip into a soothing sleep.* It’s a light, refreshing tea that’s both warming and calming.*
- Simply Detox* – Show your liver some love with this deliciously toasty herbal tea that features roasted dandelion root and purifying burdock root.* This earthy cup has a smoky taste that’s both rich and savory. It’s a delicious way to detox and refresh your outlook.*
- Throat Cozy* – Support throat comfort with this cooling brew that combines slippery marshmallow root, licorice, and anise.* It’s a slightly sweet, velvety blend sure to please and ease your throat.*
A portion of every purchase supports the Bastyr University Student Scholarship Fund, helping advance the research and practice of natural medicine.
We’re so excited to have you try them and let us know what you think!
Learn more by viewing the press release here.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Even though every day is Earth Day at Choice Organic Teas, we’re proud to feature our extensive line of loose leaf teas for this extra special time of the year. Packed in an unbleached bag with biodegradable lining, we carry 30 delicious varieties of black, white, green, and herbal teas without tea bags. And, if you’re a green tea lover, check out our new loose leaf Decaffeinated Green, perfect for making a cup in the evening.
Did you know we purchase Renewable Energy Certificates from wind-generated sources for 100% of our facility’s electricity use, amounting to 207,000 kilowatt hours (about 45 U.S. households) per year? We think a responsible business is a smart business and are proud to do our part.
We were thrilled to see our teas appear on The Today Show yesterday, in a segment by Daily Candy about at home beauty treatments. Our Peppermint and Chamomile were featured as ingredients for making aromatherapy facial toner. Yet another testament to the many uses of organic tea and an honor for us to be recognized as a high quality ingredient beyond the tea cup!
Friday, March 22nd is World Water Day, established by the United Nations to examine water issues around the world and raise awareness of the fact that one in eight people do not have safe water to drink.
As an extension of our commitment to a healthy planet, Choice Organic Teas is proud to partner with WaterAid to support their work to bring safe water, hygiene, and sanitation to the world’s poorest communities. For every box of tea sold on our website during the month of March, we will donate 20 cents to WaterAid.
Did you know?
- Nearly 800 million people in the world do not have access to safe water
- 2.5 billion people in the world lack adequate sanitation
- 2,000 children die every day from water-related diseases
Why is clean water important?
- Clean water reduces the spread of water-borne diseases.
- Accessible water supplies mean women can spend time working to earn money or caring for their families, rather than walking for hours in search of water.
- Sufficient water supplies mean there is water available for washing and watering gardens, as well as drinking and cooking.
How you can get more involved:
Learn more – WaterAid has programs in 27 countries across Africa, Asia, the Pacific Region, and Central America. In its 31 years, WaterAid has brought safe water to nearly 17.5 million people. To learn more about what they do or to make a donation, please visit WaterAid.org or their facebook page.
Make a donation – A donation of $25 is enough to provide clean water for one person for life. While WaterAid has helped bring clean water to 17.5 million people, there are still nearly 800 million that go without. Help WaterAid achieve their aim of helping 1.6 million more people this year.
Top photo: WaterAid/Marco Betti
Bottom photo: WaterAid/Caroline Irby