Looking for a snack to go with your cuppa?
Scones make a great side to any warm cup of tea and adding aromatic Earl Grey tea leaves to the recipe enhances this fresh-baked classic. Serve with honey butter and jam for a fantastic treat.
– 2 cups flour
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– the contents of 5-6 Earl Grey tea bags or 5-6 tsp of loose leaf Earl Grey
– 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
– ½ to ¾ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and tea leaves) in a food processor and pulse until mixed. Add butter and pulse until dry ingredients and butter are incorporated and have formed a coarse, pebble-like texture. Pour mixture into a large bowl.
If you don’t have a food processor, use a large bowl to mix the dry ingredients as above, adding the butter and using your fingers or a pastry knife to work the dry ingredients into the butter to form pebble-like texture.
3. Add the egg and cream and gently mix to create a slightly sticky dough. It might be necessary to add a little flour or a little cream to get the right consistency.
4. Add blueberries and mix to combine.
5. Gently knead the dough a couple of times on a lightly floured surface.
6. Form the dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle and cut into even wedges and place onto an ungreased baking sheet.
7. Brush the top of the scones with cream and sprinkle each scone lightly with sugar.
8. Bake for 9-11 minutes until golden brown.
Makes about 8 scones.